The future of TV content consumption is becoming less based around traditional channel schedules as users become more accustomed to watching content when and where they want. NPTVs television watching app was designed with this thought in mind, to make content less channel and line up structured and introduce new tools for more emphasis on personal discovery based on relevance and social recommendation.
The use of more prominent contextual menus within the content information screen should allow the user to browse and discover new content based on the context they are watching, liking and sharing.
Enhanced search and recommendation engines are a key to delivering relevant content.
• Introduction of enhanced search for programme titles as well as actors and presenters.
• Display of responsive search results pushing users to relevant content quickly after minimal text input.
• Stronger meta-data support for search and recommendations
• An interface that replaces “Dashboard” that focused more on discovery based on content rather than time/channel and pushes recommended/featured and popular content.
• Discovery of content more through a category and genres.
• LIVE status and TV schedule less important.
• Related/recommended content when a show ends.
• Related content is more prominent as well as more visually enticing and easily to navigate.
Companion App (2nd Screen)
The 2nd screen device would not only allow users to watch content but also to search, browser, discover new content as well as schedule their viewing and send content to be viewed on their larger screen. The aim was to provide the user with a seamless experience when interacting between devices either using a touch screen interface or using a traditional TV remote control.